A lot of Zoho users want to extend the capability that Zoho CRM provides out of the box. For example, one of our clients wanted to build a custom Quote Generator. They initially wanted to get the customization done to default Zoho CRM Quote form but their requirements were not implementable inside Zoho CRM. For example, they wanted to show only a limited set of products and contacts with default lookups at the time of quote generation based on for which Account quote is being generated. They wanted to maintain the search capability Zoho lookup popup provides. Zoho CRM by default shows all the products and contacts and there is no way to restrict this with solutions available within CRM (like with custom functions, workflow rules etc). So they wanted entire Quote generation module to be customized in Zoho Creator.
In Zoho Creator they wanted:
1. Start of the process on click of a Custom button or link in Zoho CRM Account (take user to Zoho Creator Quote module).
2. Autofill selected Account’s information in Zoho Creator Quote form.
3. Same look and feel of Quote module in Creator that CRM Quote module gives.
4. Instant error messages if the user makes a mistake.
5. Instant calculations to reflect updated figures on UI (like Net price based on discount and tax).
6. Intelligent lookups to restrict Products and Contacts based on selected Account.
7. Save Quote with selected products, taxes, discounts etc.
8. Share a link with selected contact so that they could view the Quote even without having the login for Zoho CRM.
9. Contact should be able to Approve or Decline Quote and also sign the quote online.
10. Auto email sending on different events with the PDF attachment of the quote.
11. Saving of user signature, approval/decline status etc in Zoho Creator.
12. Search, View and edit existing quotes.
While most of it can be built in Zoho Creator, there are few problems with it, some of which are:
2. Zoho’s retrieval limit of 200 records per API call creates obstacles.
4. Zoho Creator’s form/page sharing feature in Creator is also limited and tricks need to be applied to achieve sharing of forms/pages with non-Zoho users while compromising with UI design.
Our honest recommendation in development of complex features like above is to build it as a Website based solution. It takes lesser time to create a more powerful solution. Integration with Zoho CRM can still be achieved with Zoho CRM API.