What are AWS Step Functions?
Step Functions is a serverless orchestration service that lets you combine AWS Lambda functions and other AWS services to build business-critical applications. Through Step Functions’ graphical console, you see your application’s workflow as a series of event-driven steps.
Workflow build using step functions includes the
- Built in error handling
- Parameter passing
- Security settings
- State management
- This lets you coordinate the tasks into the visual workflow, so you can build and update apps quickly.
- Each step of your workflow created with step functions is called a state.
- Pass states pass their input to the next step as output. Execution can be delayed using the Wait state.
- Parallel states can be created using multiple branches of execution at the same time.
- Decisions can be made using the choice state which apparently adds the logic in your state machine.
- Components can be reused by easily editing the sequence of steps or swap out the code as your need changes.
- When the state machines are executed, each move from one state to the next is called state transition.
Benefits of Step functions
- Build and update apps quickly
Using step functions you can build the applications quickly and when changes are required you can reorganize components without customizing your code.
- Improve Flexibility
These functions manage states, checkpoints and restart your application to make sure it runs smoothly.
- Write less code
These functions manage the logic in our application and implement basic primitives such as branching, parallel execution, and timeouts. This removes extra code that may be repeated in your microservices and functions.
AWS function Workflow example