Salesforce Sandbox is intended for coding and testing by a single developer. This is an environment in which currently ongoing changes can be done until they’re ready to be deployed in live.
There are several different types of sandboxes available:
1. Developer Sandbox:
Developer sandbox is used for development and testing of apex code for production organization in salesforce. It has a very limited space of 200 MB for data testing.
Refresh Limit – Daily
Data Limit – 200MB
2. Developer Pro Sandbox:
Developer Pro Sandbox represents the same functionality as Developer sandbox but it provides some extra features like a decrease in time to refresh a sandbox and space to test data is increased up to 1GB.
Refresh Limit – Daily
Data Limit – 1GB
3. Partial Copy:
Partial Data sandbox is the copy of production which also includes production organization’s metadata. It has an extra feature from Developer sandbox that includes defining a template for a sandbox. Also, Data Limit is increased up to 5GB.
Refresh Limit – 5 Days
Data Limit – 5GB
4. Full Sandbox:
Full sandboxes are a complete copy of production organizations apex and its data including custom objects, documents, attachments, reports etc. Data Limit size can be used up to production organization size reserved for data.
Refresh Limit – 29 Days
Data Limit – Same as Production
Each sandbox is used for a different purpose:
=> Developer or Developer Pro sandbox is used for Development and testing purpose.
=> Partial Copy sandbox is used mostly for testing purpose.
=> Full sandbox is best when used for full production system development and testing.
According to Salesforce the following features are disabled and cannot be enabled in sandboxes:
* Contract expiration warnings.
* Case escalation.
* Contract expiration warnings and case escalation are disabled because they automatically send email to contacts, customers, and production org users.
* Subscription summary.
* Data exports (by clicking Export Now or Schedule Export on the Weekly Export Service page in Setup).
* The ability to create Salesforce sandboxes.
* The ability to copy email service addresses that you create in your sandbox to your production org.
* The ability to publish Site.com sites.